Our annual spring practice period will begin with a one-day sitting on Saturday, May 2 and continue through the shuso ceremony on Sunday, June 14. Sojun Roshi invites everyone to increase their commitment to practice during this period while still tending to their obligations outside the gate.
Sojun Roshi has invited Sentei Kunka Susan Marvin—Spring Garden/Virtuous Influence—to be the shuso this year, sharing the abbot’s seat and setting an example for us all. Chodo Kaiku Dean Bradley—Wild Bird Path/Open Sky—will serve as benji, assisting the shuso.
There will be a Thursday night class with Sojun Roshi, with the topic to be announced. You can download the detailed 2015 Practice Period Calendar. Practice period applications will be available on the main bulletin board shelf in April. Please fill one out and return it to the shuso’s box on the community room porch by Mon., April 27.
In addition to signing up for practice period and turning in a registration form, sign up separately for a number of the individual practice period events. See the bulletin board for signup sheets.
Practice Period Events
- Opening Sesshin: May 2, 5:00am to 9:00pm
- Opening/Shuso Entering Ceremony: May 2, about 4:00pm
- Shuso Talks/Lectures: May 4, 16, 22, and 30
- Classes: Thursday evenings, May 7-June 4, 7:15-8:45pm
- Bansan (tea and dharma discussion with the abbot): Friday, May 15, 5:40pm
- Dinner and Skit Night: Saturday, May 23
- Shosan (dharma dialogue with the abbot): June 5, 5:40pm and June 8, 5:40am
- Lay Ordination: Saturday, June 6, 3:00pm
- Five-Day Sesshin: June 10 to 14
- Shuso Hossen (dharma dialogue with the shuso): Sunday, June 14